Friday, December 16, 2011

Tis The Season (Jessica)

So I haven’t posted FOREVER and I’m sorry, but it has been on my mind.  I sit here today and listen to people coming and going from my office.  Most  bid farewell with some sort of, “Have a good Holiday”or “Merry Christmas”. However what I hear the most of is “are you ready for Christmas ?” Someone asked Mom that question and she said, “Well, it will come and go either way.” It got my wheels turning, what does “Ready” mean when you’re referring to Christmas?  Obviously when people ask that, you assume that they are talking about the presents, decorating, shopping , food, cards sent etc.  But really why do you honestly have to do to prepare for Christmas ?  Don’t get me wrong, I am just as guilty and anyone regarding wanting to shop and feeling like I need to “ get ready for Christmas.”   Wanting to do things for people and have our home feel and look festive isn’t wrong or bad.  I just think that when your life and future have been altered you  rethink what you need for Christmas.  Deep down everyone or “most” people anyhow, know and acknowledge that Christmas or the Christmas Season in general is a time to show love and kindness to our fellow man and to reflect on your spiritual beliefs whatever they may be.  However I sincerely cannot imagine Christmas existing if we did not spend time with family and having a family to spend Christmas with is all we need to be “ready” for Christmas.   Like Deb said, it will come and go no matter how many presents we buy and how much wrapping paper is on the floor Christmas morning, but if we did not have people we loved and people who love us we would not need presents, treats or paper anyway.  Life is short and all the things we establish and our “normal life” can and will change at any given moment on any given week or month or year.   I am so greatful that I have the people I love and that I have the people who I know love me.  I realize I sound like one of the cheesy people always preaching how short life is and because I feel this way I may also be considered selfish in that I believe it is short so live it and love who you love because they may not be here next Christmas.  My mom received what I consider great news this last week.  The results of her latest scans ALL came back as showing no new cancer growth or spreading !   Obviously nothing, NOTHING would be better than to have them come back miraculously cancer free.  However, finding out that the chemo drug she has been on and able to still have a life is holding the cancer at bay is wonderful.  My biggest fear was that not only was the cancer still spreading, but that it would again force her to try another chemo drug that could be as bad or worse as the one that was literally killing her about 5 months ago.  My mom is so strong and courageous, always bearing her burdens and still trying to carry everyone else’s on top of her own if possible.  She is as beautiful, classy and incredible as ever and I love her to pieces !   Thank you so much for all of the people who check on her and bring her dinner and keep my parents in their thoughts.  You literally will never know what your support has done for all of us !! “This the Season “ for MIRACLES and having her as my mother and sharing Christmas with her and the people I love is all I need for Christmas.  BTW I love my Dad to pieces too !!  Merry, Merry Christmas to all !

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a beautiful post! We all love Deb and Randy to pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mom! She is such an example to me of all that is good. You are one lucky lady to have her for your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. . . . And she is so lucky to have such a daughter. All of you Clark kids have been great during this whole thing. I'm sure there is a joy and strength that comes to your mom through your goodness and love that surpasses the drag and heaviness of cancer. Love is stronger than anything we face and love makes all we pass through worth it.
    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete