Monday, May 23, 2011

SUPURISES AND STRENGTHS (By Jessica)

On Wednesday we had a surprise birthday party for Mom because Troy was going to be home from Arizona for a few days.  He told us a few weeks ago that he was going to come home for her birthday.  Troy moved to Arizona about 3 days before we found out Mom had cancer and they haven’t seen each other since he left.  My mom is the best mom ever and Shelley said it so perfectly when she said Mom loves easily and has so much compassion.  It is a running joke in our family that we are all bawl babies and will cry if we see a stranger crying and not even know why they are crying.  Even though this often feels like a curse I also have to thank and acknowledge my mom’s role in always being an example of compassion to me.  I think we have all grown and learned to appreciate our Mom as a mother now that we are parents ourselves .  I will never be able to re pay her for her and my dad’s patience and willingness to never give up on me when I know they totally wanted to wring my neck many times when I forced them to watch me learn a lot of life’s lessons the hard way.  Some she would probably argue I still haven’t learned ! My point in saying this is because I feel like we all have incredible but different bonds with our parents.  This being said my mom and Troy have a very special bond and connection with each other.  I feel like there is a void when our family gets together and he is in another state instead of with us.  He is the best uncle to his nieces and nephews and truly got moms gift of compassion.  Anyone who knows Troy, knows that growing up he pushed every button and tried every limit there ever was. ( versus all of his siblings which were of course perfect angles ) Besides being the baby he got very sick as a tiny baby and we almost lost him .  As a parent now, I cannot and do not even want to imagine those feelings and fears of losing a child.  So I’m sure that is where the special bond started and continued to grow as he did many other stupid things which could have probably have gotten him killed growing up.  And that’s just the stuff we know about !  Troy has grown up to be a driven and amazing person, and I may be a bit prejudice as well because of how important he is to my Kaden.  I would have to say one of our families strengths is actually our family it’s self.  We lean on each other so much and need each other as a whole.  All of my siblings are so important to me and I love them to pieces even though we are so different in a lot of ways.  Mom would scold me for saying it but Troy is the favorite LOL.  Her and Troy just  “ get “ each other they always have somehow.  Even when they didn’t see eye to eye.  Through everything brought on by the cancer one of the hardest things for mom has been not having her Troy here.  Don’t get me wrong she loves all of us and leans on all of us the way we have always leaned on her but she NEEDED her Troy.  So besides my own selfish missing him and excitement for my Kaden to see him I was so excited for Mom to see him.  We all snuck up on her porch and Troy rang the door bell.  You can imagine the emotion and surprise of Mom when she opened the door.  Everyone except for my other brother who I love to pieces and need so much was there to see it.  He, who is going to college and working and being Mr. mom when him and meg pass in the door way of their crazy lives right now simply couldn’t make it.   But I guess we will forgive him since I know how much he wanted to be there and see me…. JK Ry.  Anyhow we made dinner and just loved being together and feeling like things were normal for a minute.  We wore mom out but I’m thinking she will say it was worth it and I’m so happy she got to see Troy .  It was an early birthday party because it was the only time Troy could come, her actual birthday is today. Thanks for coming Troy , love ya !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment